#Login Register
Update - $1k, advertising, etc.
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-11-2014, 02:09 AM #31
cyro Forum Administrator
(10-10-2014, 05:11 PM)BowL Wrote:  Back to suggestions and ideas ...

I'd like to see a more unified and streamlined website. Right now the website is non existent. The message being portrayed is; register now or gtfo. In order to "sell" the game you need things like screenshots, videos, testimonials, articles, guides, developer blogs, profiles, statistics, better accounts system, better clans system, privacy policy, user agreements, and anything else that makes this game appear more organized and mature. Being more open and upfront about the game is a requirement. For the past several years, armorcritical and even spark-hq has been nothing more than a signup page. Not everyone is willing to blindly signup and hope there's more inside. The community is mostly closed off to the public and only friends have stuck around.

Having about 3 different domains for various aspects of the game is detrimental to current users, and moreso new users. There's one site for the game, one for forums, and somewhere you'll find clans and maps. None of this stuff is easily accessible or easy to understand for new users. You need to bring all of these ideas together and create an "ala carte" website experience, perhaps with a user account system, easily accessible on the front page.

All the advertising in the world won't help when the current game is a scattered mess of 10 year old ongoing and unfinished projects. A few examples; it's possible to create a new clan and be kicked from it with no way to get it back. It's also possible to upload and override existing maps; a saboteur's dream. There's nowhere to change your user details such as email address or password. Forum and game accounts are separated when it could be combined.

Steam is probably the best option for reaching a mass audience. However, if you do it wrong, they'll quickly let you know the game sucks. It's best to build a stable and secure infrastructure first and then take it to the masses. Putting up a half assed game and saying "we'll fix it later" is not the way to do things (IMO). Early access games on Steam are mostly unfavorable because of bugs, glitches, and unfinished features. It's good to get feedback on the fly, but you gotta have a system is place that works first, and unfortunately current systems are not capable of handling a mass audience.

I have started a lot of these things but real life has caught up with me as of late and the way the community acts when I am online kills any motivation left over Smile

EDIT - in terms of the website items mentioned
This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 02:18 AM by cyro.

tocs.

10-11-2014, 03:42 AM #32
tengo Veteran
Idk what u guys think but afaik

SHIT IS GETTIN RELS

(Imqho)

10-11-2014, 04:34 AM #33
Assailant AC Operations Team
This community needs to take a good hard look at itself. Those who are being the most judgmental need to ask themselves, "what have I done for this community?" before deciding to pass judgement and ridicule those who have made contributions.

The people who dedicate their time to this game are under appreciated. They are being taken for granted and then the community bashes them when they leave. Meanwhile those who did the bashing never did anything to contribute to begin with. Complaining and pointing fingers is not contributing to this game.

Think about the important members that we have seen leave over the years. Sure, some have left due to family and life responsibilities. But others have left simply because they realized it is not worth it. Those who do the most for this community get bashed and blamed the most. We are all in this together. This community belongs to everyone.

Take cyro for instance. Look at how long and how much he has contributed over these last few years. Everyone just takes for granted that he will do all these things. He does it because he loves this community. But hes a human being with an actual life outside of this game and a simple thank you can go a long way to making him realize that his efforts are making a difference. A lot of you do not understand what goes into the development on this game. Its not an easy task.

Those of you who want to make real suggestions then speak freely. Those of you who want to place blame and ridicule everything and everyone around you without lifting one of your own fingers to do something about it, we don't need you here.

You are not entitled to anything. This game is free to play and comes as is. If you want it to be better then start doing something about it instead of complaining in the lobby. The same handful of people pop up in the lobby on a semi daily basis to talk about how terrible this game is yet they keep coming on despite how awful they feel this game is. This community does not owe any individual person or player anything.

Start looking around at the community and the players around you who contribute to this game and start being thankful for their contributions.

10-11-2014, 05:23 AM #34
Yes Gates. And its a shame that I had to. Many on here have made accusations that I ran off with the money. Some have went so far as to say I stole it from the community. It may have been said half halfheartedly but I take great offense to it. This thread is about the $1k update, I felt the need to clarify to the community that this money was never missing or out of the control of the leadership staff.

10-11-2014, 09:16 AM #35
DarkEvil AC Guide
Let's get back on track and actually discuss what we need to do.....

10-12-2014, 03:48 AM #36
frog n00b
JW... We were going to give a guy who doesn't know Java 1000$ to work on fixing bugs with our game thats written in java?

10-12-2014, 04:06 AM #37
frog. He knows Java, its just not something he regularly programs in. I have used him for over 12 years. This guy has programmed me a real time multi-player iOS/Android crossover game without any previous experience with app or game development.

It was not a matter of if he can do it, it was a matter of when. It just was not the right fit given how impatient the community was and the lack of assistance he received. He is used to working on his own and when you combine that with the fact there was not anyone willing to go out of their way to assist him, it just didnt make a good fit.

As for these suggestions...we have been through them countless times over and over and over. We will not get the magic suggestion here that will make this game magically populated with newbs. Trust me I know.

What I also know is that $2k is nothing. I am sorry to say that but its really not a lot. It doesnt go a long way for development and it doesnt go a long way for marketing a game.

I paid over $6k developing the iOS game and I invested over $5k into promoting it. I ran competitions on popular forums giving away $50 in itunes gift cards a day for competitions. I did mobile marketing, promoted on websites of similar sites etc the works. After all that....there still was not a sustainable amount of players.

The fact of the matter is that the game industry is very competitive. Gamers are just overwhelmed with so many games put in their face and have all the big boys competing to get them in their network.

This game can not compete dollar wise with any game in marketing. The audience that we want to go after, there are already big boys who are paying big bucks for those players.

The only way this game will ever develop a consistent amount of traffic and generate a steady flow of new players is what I have been saying over and over and over. And that is from word of mouth and that means this game needs to be accessible (which it currently is not) and needs to have social sharing features implemented).

Before we even get into those features...we need to make sure people can get in a game. I am on my old computer with windows 7 and I can not get into a game with the default settings. If I am new...I am not going to try to figure that out. I am not going to try to update my browser my java etc. These guys need to get into a game right away otherwise its a waste. That is why I implemented browser and java checks..which were removed apparently. I also put up links on the homepage....there was good reason why those links were up and now they are gone.

I made SEO friendly page titles and was tracking the rankings monthly. We were on page 2 for "free capture the flag game" and "free multiplayer capture the flag game" as well as many other terms...we were on the verge of breaking through to the first page and actually seeing traffic. But like my other implementations...those SEO tweaks were removed.

If we want this game to grow socially and naturally, once the accessibility issues are fixed we need:

- Social Login features. Have results/scores/awards posted to users twitter/facebook etc by default. Registering with facebook is easy and people are used to doing it. gamers usually have gamer friends. Even if a new player doesnt enjoy the game...maybe some of his friends will see the update and be interested and a chain reaction will start.

- Social exposure. Have the game placed on facebook and other social platforms that allow gaming API's. Even social gaming networks such as steam and other less known networks.

- Get the community involved. use the existing community to help spread the word. Like us on facebook. tweet us on twitter with popular gaming hash tags or however it works on twitter.

This is what I have been preaching and this is what I will continue to preach. I sound like a broken record but this is the only way we will be able to have fresh blood pumped into this game.

That $2k can then be used to promote on facebook/steam/twitter etc when the game already has a presence on them and we have actually collected data to make a smart decision on how to invest that money.
This post was last modified: 10-12-2014, 04:18 AM by Assailant.

10-12-2014, 05:40 AM #38
eekum Veteran
[Image: SCW2xoA.png]

In dat white square, please put this gif.

[Image: AKFQ1.gif]

10-12-2014, 06:34 AM #39
I never went on the forums. Since the AC forums were always dead I was never on the forums. If you look at my history, I have never been an active member on the forums. Its just not what I am used to doing.

The programmer worked on this script for 2 and a half months. Not 4.

During that time, the only OP members who were around were Chris and I. Sean was not around. Odo was not around. NOBODY else was around but us 2. So everything that was discussed about moving forward was discussed between Chris and I.

After that 2.5 month period was when I texted Chris that we would just tell Bogdan to stop and that I would have him work off the $1,000. Apparently Chris decided to not be very active at the same time as me and I had no knowledge that odo/Sean were back on the scene. How would I know this?

I had the money. The entire time. I have been responsible for the majority of the expenses for this game for the last 3 years so what difference did it make that I hold on to the funds until they were ready to be used? For all I knew Sean was not active and what difference did it matter which owner was holding on to it?

I will admit I am wrong.

I am wrong for investing over $8,000 of my own personal money to pay for critical bug fixes, development, servers etc. I am wrong for trying to fix network issues with the old chicago server. I am wrong for patching up holes and figuring out how glazor was exploiting the script and messing with everything when nobody else was available. I am wrong for figuring out who was exploiting bugs and crashing the servers. I am wrong for spending hours of my time to optimize this game so it can rank in search engines and generate natural traffic from relevant search terms. I am wrong for thinking this community

10-12-2014, 06:40 AM #40
Yosh Forum Administrator
You had me when you said this

Quote:I will admit I am wrong.

and then you lost me when you said

Quote:I am wrong for investing over $8,000 of my own personal money to pay for critical bug fixes, development, servers etc. I am wrong for trying to fix network issues with the old chicago server. I am wrong for patching up holes and figuring out how glazor was exploiting the script and messing with everything when nobody else was available. I am wrong for figuring out who was exploiting bugs and crashing the servers. I am wrong for spending hours of my time to optimize this game so it can rank in search engines and generate natural traffic from relevant search terms. I am wrong for thinking this community

It doesn't matter if you weren't active on the forums. You could have at least came on here and checked the topic every once in awhile.

If you would just say "yeah I probably could have done better" then I think people would be a lot more forgiving. You have invested a lot of your time into this game and I don't think anyone is doubting that. You're just coming off really deflecting and defensive instead of just saying that you might have messed up a little. Instead, you're just saying what all the other great things you have done for this game (which is a lengthy list). I think people just want an apology. It wasn't Chris' job to relay that information to us. It was your job because it was your developer and the funds were with you.

Edit:

I also think that you're taking the amount of the donation into far more consideration then you should. It's more about the trust that people that donated had in you and in the operations team.
This post was last modified: 10-12-2014, 06:49 AM by Yosh.

yoshi