#Login Register
An Elder Statesman's List.
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.88 Average

04-16-2014, 07:48 AM #21
meek n00b
I'm a bit surprised Dario didnt put himself on his list.

Guess he's not only silver rating in League, but in Spark aswell. :]

04-16-2014, 07:53 AM #22
Dario Still n00b
w0w0w0w0w0w0w0w that hurts (the league of legends comment mostly)

+ i already said it's not my list fuckboy

+ i would NEVER mention some of those honorable mentions over myself obviously

-love dar

04-16-2014, 07:55 AM #23
meek n00b
I reply to ur thread and you answer within a minute. Coincidence?

04-16-2014, 08:08 AM #24
Dario Still n00b
bc i got a million PMs on arc about how i got owned by meek on the forums

-love dar

04-16-2014, 09:07 AM #25
meek n00b
Lol, im just kidding brobro.

I'm sure you are as good at league as you are at spark. ;D

04-16-2014, 11:22 AM #26
bigdaddy n00b
I missed most of the spark era while I was in college, but before then Technique in his prime was def top 10, also Access Denied was a beast. I do believe Fordus should be number two above nano, due to nano used his lag more than anything.

04-16-2014, 11:52 AM #27
eekum Veteran
So you're trying to say Nano was only good because of lag?

Lame argument. I hate that shit more than anything.

04-17-2014, 02:07 PM #28
Elder Statesman n00b
The notion that Nano was only good largely due to his lag holds little to no weight. When you consider what he achieved and how he played for over a decade, to try and discredit that with the whole lag argument is pretty unfounded. I honestly don't know enough about Technique to make an informed comment, but I'm sceptical of him deserving a spot on this list.

There's also no way I can justify dropping Fordus below Sebek based on achievements like Tengo suggested. Fordus achieved more than Sebek, plain and simple. He was a premier player for a long period, won two APL titles to Sebek's one, and both of Fordus' titles came when CaDF was in the league, Sebek's came when TBWA was absent. Their peaks may be hard to differentiate, but almost everything else seems to be in Ford's favour.

I would entertain, and have done, the idea of raising Parrot up above Tech-Man and potentially above Fordus but I feel Ford's peak, in conjunction with everything else, warranted him being top three. CaDF's starting line in recent years seemed to be Tech, Sebek, Dzaaneez and Puffball which was a relatively large factor in me choosing to place Tech and Parrot, since the latter was rotated out of the front four.

As Dario touched upon in his post, performance in more recent years (i.e Spark) was weighted particularly heavily. In hindsight it may have been weighted too heavily, but I highly valued peoples performances and results in what, as I've said, I believe to be the most competitive/highest skilled point the game has been through. If I changed that weighting slightly, the likes of Slick/Toughshot/Sebek could maybe be bumped off in favour of the older generation such as Astrok and Access Denied.

King-Killer would be somebody that I would give an honorable mention to but that would be it. I agree that KK's overall game had significant gaps in it when compared to other top players. When you got passed the bravado and simply assessed his game, it seemed relatively one dimensional. I also think people sell the supporting cast he had during that APL (Shrink, Veritas, Corpheus and Jboy) considerably short.

Finally, just as a quick explanation. The criteria I found myself to be thinking about most of the time was something along the lines of;

Accomplishments/Results
Peak skill
Dominance relative to peers
Duration of dominance
Overall level of play (of the community) during period
This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 02:19 PM by Elder Statesman.

04-17-2014, 05:59 PM #29
meek n00b
Speaking of honorable mentions.

Why am I not on that list?? Got beef?

Clearly I played at the highest level when the highest level of competition was around. So where is my honorable review.

All kidding aside, Nano's brilliance was far more than how to use his lag. Having lag doesnt mean skill, it means jack shit if you cant actually dodge and shoot. But still, that wasnt what he was known for. I learned alot just watching him play.

04-18-2014, 12:49 AM #30
Turbo AC Administrator
Nano is of course a top 5 player of all time, but I will say not his lag, but his AUSSIE lag was definitely a factor! Now obviously, he is one of the smartest and skillful players that has played this game, but combine that with aussie lag, he is almost unbeatable. At least you could accurately predict how to lag shoot Croa or Noodle, Nano was on a completely different level. Without his lag, I would say he would be more of a parrotman and move him to the latter of the top 10 list.

I know this is going to draw strong criticism, but as someone who played in the SPL finals in 2010 against TBWA, I would attribute our loss to a great extent to Nano . We were down 0-2, but once we got momentum from Game 3’s win, and Nano subbed in for Gaur in Game 4, the game play changed significantly.

I am not trying to take anything away from Nano, but to say that its ridiculous to comment on Nano’s lag, is ridiculous in of itself. He is clearly a top 10 player with or without lag, but his higher ranking (top 5) is definitely attributable to his lag.

Spark Administrator
Founder of CTA and Gladiators