#Login Register
An Elder Statesman's List.
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.88 Average

04-18-2014, 01:17 AM #31
meek n00b
I'd bet my nuts that Nano would be even better if he played without lag all these years. You overrate lag for whatever reason. I view Nano as a top 5 player without a thought about his lag, it doesnt even cross my mind in the criteria to judge him as player.

Might be because I'm "inbetween" with the ping. Not low, not high, just that slight lag at 130-150 ping, never had problems with aussies ping, I felt it was more of a handicap to them, cause they slack sometimes due to the lag, and that can be taken advantage of.

04-18-2014, 02:57 AM #32
Bone Still n00b
(04-18-2014, 12:49 AM)Turbo Wrote:  Nano is of course a top 5 player of all time, but I will say not his lag, but his AUSSIE lag was definitely a factor! Now obviously, he is one of the smartest and skillful players that has played this game, but combine that with aussie lag, he is almost unbeatable. At least you could accurately predict how to lag shoot Croa or Noodle, Nano was on a completely different level. Without his lag, I would say he would be more of a parrotman and move him to the latter of the top 10 list.

I know this is going to draw strong criticism, but as someone who played in the SPL finals in 2010 against TBWA, I would attribute our loss to a great extent to Nano . We were down 0-2, but once we got momentum from Game 3’s win, and Nano subbed in for Gaur in Game 4, the game play changed significantly.

I am not trying to take anything away from Nano, but to say that its ridiculous to comment on Nano’s lag, is ridiculous in of itself. He is clearly a top 10 player with or without lag, but his higher ranking (top 5) is definitely attributable to his lag.

You used the worst example possible to make a point. You tried suggesting Nano's "AUSSIE lag" factors into his ranking among the best players. You're own argument only further supports Nano's legacy. You say when Gaur was subbed out in Game 4 and Nano and his "AUSSIE lag" came in that the game play changed significantly. You mean the same "AUSSIE lag" Gaur has? Nano being one of the best players and significantly better than Gaur is what changed the game play. The lag didn't change any when Nano went in. It was already there when Gaur was playing.

I've played alongside Nano so some biased is probably impossible to avoid, but anyone who thinks Nano wouldn't be a top player under any circumstances clearly doesn't understand his game and impact he's had over the years.

You're right, he probably shouldn't be top 5. He should be top 2. Nobody in their right mind is going to argue anyone is better than Mage. Then use the typical factors in ranking people (i.e. overall ability, accomplishments, longevity, etc.) Nobody is more accomplished than Nano probably other than Mage. Nobody has been at the top for the past idk 10-15 years like Nano has. Astrok gets a lot of love because of his dominance in earlier eras. Nano was near the top then and still is.

Beyond Mage and Nano though, you can come up with 100 different lists and not one of them is going to be accurate because it's impossible. Too many factors. Toughshot had an insane peak. Maybe the closest thing to Mage we've seen in terms of ability. It was the shortest lived peak of any top player though and he didn't accomplish anything. ElAsesino's peak was also one of the best the game has seen. For some reason though it's as if he gets rewarded because he played with lesser talented players. Fact is he also didn't accomplish much. Nobody talks about Dan Marino being the best ever despite the general consensus that he was as talented at his position as most top QB's. It boils down to what did you do on the biggest stage. The Toughshots, ElAsesinos, Slicks, etc. all can round out the top 5's and top 10's but theirs a bigger picture than just peaks and ability. That's just one aspect. Yes I realize championships aren't everything either, or we'd be calling Robert Horry and his 7 championships one of the best of all time. It's just that, the only time these top players really go toe to toe is in playoffs and championship series. The best come out on top. I'd even have no problem putting Parrotman #3 for much of the same reasons I mentioned about Nano. Not many people have played at the level he has for as long as he has as well as the accomplishments to back it all up.

04-18-2014, 03:45 AM #33
Fordus Still n00b
Yeah Turbo, If you felt the gameplay changed it was because Nano was a better player than Guar...for reasons not having to do with lag, in my opinion.

To be more specific: It was things like smarts, map awareness, decision-making, patience, mental toughness. These are some of the qualities that made Nano such a great player.

I think lag can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. Ultimately, the measure of a player's skill is how well they adapt and play under the circumstances they find themselves under. So I don't think it's fair to take any credit away from Nano purely based on lag.
This post was last modified: 04-18-2014, 03:59 AM by Fordus.

04-18-2014, 04:26 AM #34
Turbo AC Administrator
Bone, you realize that I agree with everything that you just said. I thought I stressed this enough but I was not discrediting Nano's skill level. I stated that he was one of the best in the game. Noodle/Croa also have aussie lag but of course there was a great difference between their lag and Nano's lag. Same thing with Gaur. I can't explain why there was such a deviation in "lag" between all 4 aussie players but its silly to think a difference didn't exist. And if you thing I'm bs'ing, ask the community if they noted a difference. Gaur was MUCH easier to lag shoot compared to Nano, and that had nothing to do with Nano's dodging ability.

And just to reiterate, I think Nano is a top 10 player, but because of his lag, makes him top 5. Top 10 or Top 5 over the course of how long this game has been played is pretty superstar-worthy.
This post was last modified: 04-18-2014, 04:28 AM by Turbo.

Spark Administrator
Founder of CTA and Gladiators

04-18-2014, 04:59 AM #35
Bone Still n00b
I registered to these forums for the sole purpose of responding to your post that I quoted. A simple attempt to correct and educate you. My 2nd post I won't attempt to do such a monumental task. It's not my intentions to argue with you about this. There is nothing to argue. I'm right. You're wrong. You made sure of that with your follow-up post.

04-18-2014, 05:11 AM #36
Turbo AC Administrator
Your reply is a little ridiculous. Just reading your replies demonstrates how much you're responding with emotion. If you can't be unbiased, then its good that you chose to stay out of this conversation.

Spark Administrator
Founder of CTA and Gladiators

04-18-2014, 05:19 AM #37
Bone Still n00b
Actually I was just fucking around. Not about the me being right and you wrong. That really is true. I just feel you're arguments are really unfounded and kind of absurd when reading them that I had to fuck with you lol.

04-18-2014, 05:51 AM #38
meek n00b
When Nano subs in for Gaur, its not his lag that is different, its a complete different animal you're dealing with.

Do you not see beyond the lag? Nano has been consitently been a top 5 player throughout all ears of arc/spark, and it has NOTHING to do with lag. He is brilliant. Dont mention his lag, unless you are in fact joking.. Jeesh

It's like having JD play in a game and you sub me in, and go "yea well his ping is slightly different, thats why its harder". Come on get real..

04-18-2014, 07:58 AM #39
Riptide n00b
ES: I'm just curious...why the anonymity?

04-18-2014, 08:05 AM #40
niveus AC Developer
(04-18-2014, 04:26 AM)Turbo Wrote:  Bone, you realize that I agree with everything that you just said. I thought I stressed this enough but I was not discrediting Nano's skill level. I stated that he was one of the best in the game. Noodle/Croa also have aussie lag but of course there was a great difference between their lag and Nano's lag. Same thing with Gaur. I can't explain why there was such a deviation in "lag" between all 4 aussie players but its silly to think a difference didn't exist. And if you thing I'm bs'ing, ask the community if they noted a difference. Gaur was MUCH easier to lag shoot compared to Nano, and that had nothing to do with Nano's dodging ability.

And just to reiterate, I think Nano is a top 10 player, but because of his lag, makes him top 5. Top 10 or Top 5 over the course of how long this game has been played is pretty superstar-worthy.

Probably because Noodle and Croa didn't have 'Aussie' lag... Noodle and Croa are from New Zealand Smile