#Login Register
Status Update - COMMUNITY HELP NEEDED. Please Read.
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed

04-24-2014, 11:51 AM #11
Bone Still n00b
I think his point was first impressions matter. Do you want new people or do you want new people that stay? Maybe it's not important either way? Good luck though, seriously. Would enjoy seeing a community of decent volume once again some day.

04-24-2014, 12:38 PM #12
cyro Forum Administrator
Keep in mind this game thrived on Sierra at a time with no name registration, development, hacks, and major lag/air issues.

tocs.

04-24-2014, 01:25 PM #13
Assailant AC Operations Team
@tengo this is decent free software to record your screen: http://camstudio.org/

@lineof7s. So much has been said about this games faults. Bugs Bugs and Bugs. Yes this game has some bugs. Every game does. Is it a challenge for some to get into a game? Yes, but we have placed easy to see alerts for users on those particular browsers to encourage they use either chrome or ff and update their java if they need to.

This game is fine. It runs way better than when it was on won/sierra etc.

This community has been shrinking so naturally the scapegoat will always be bugs. Thats not the case. Odoacer showed me graphs on the community and how it was rapidly declining during spark. Yes, when we switched over to AC it expedited the process but what we have is a game that we can market now.

People can play pretty easily, its much more of a challenge asking someone to commit to downloading, installing, registering, logging in, playing.

Keep in mind that the people we are marketing from are from free online arcades. Over 95% of these people are on either chrome or firefox. These people play games so its extremely likely that they have played a java browser based game and they already have the latest version of java and they know how to figure out how to get into a game from experience.

The hardest part is keeping a public game up when promotion is going on. Players arent going to flood in. So when we get one here and there, it will not be an attractive experience if they show up in a server and nobody else is there.

04-24-2014, 02:11 PM #14
LineOf7s n00b
Don't get me wrong: I'd love for you to be successful and have a whole bunch of new people get in on this thing and have as much fun as we all did Back In The Day.

I'm just not sure you (plural) realise it's not 1999 anymore. When ARC was king, one could search for free online multiplayer games and find maybe a dozen of various kinds. Do the same search now and you'll find THOUSANDS, all free, more accessible than AC, better-presented and often swaddled in social media to enforce a sense of community. It's not just that they're web-based that they're popular.

You're a small and sickly fish in a very big pond. I just think the least you could do is become a fish-worth-catching before waving your arms about and trying to attract attention.

But hey, what does it hurt me if you try to promote? More power to you. The very best of luck; I hope I'm wrong.

04-24-2014, 03:47 PM #15
tengo Veteran
I suggest we always have C4TurretWarzv2.0 up just in case new players come on and nobody is playing. Either run is as a permanent map or just keep in mind for someone to put up when there seems to be new players in the lobby.

(This just worked with a returning/newer player, who wanted to play but nobody was budging... so I tossed up the turrets map and he joined, along with a few others.)
This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM by tengo.

04-24-2014, 04:22 PM #16
cyro Forum Administrator
It also may make sense to have a FFA up.

tocs.

04-24-2014, 08:48 PM #17
Chris AC Operations Team
A player returned yesterday from a long time ago so a few of us took initiative and threw up a basewarz and had a pretty fun game. I hardly play, but when new people come around and want a game, I'm in. It was great that several people followed and made it enjoyable. We need to keep up that kind of effort. Every player counts.
This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM by Chris.

Chris/RareOps - AC Operations Team
Armor Critical Website
Facebook

04-26-2014, 02:39 AM #18
RoboTech Veteran
I've been saying it forever, so ill agree with Line. You have to fix the game before you expect people to play on it. New players still have to finagle in the settings before getting the game to launch? Game wont work on new java? I've been too scared to play on a new computer or to update my java in a year because of this game. These 2 things is the very minimum, in my opinion, that you must do before advertising. Premature advertising is a game killer. You never know who is out there or where they're hiding, waiting to be inspired by this 2d masterpiece.. You don't want to let them down once you find them.

If our lives were great we wouldn't need second ones on this hell hole.
Coldfire- / Fire u^B / RiddeN / Eskimo
Director of Competitive Gaming
{ReignSupreme} High Council

04-26-2014, 11:44 PM #19
meek n00b
I'm sorry but, this game is never going to get any new active players. Not sure why you made it web based to begin with. In my experience my friends who plays games wont even ENTERTAIN the thought of registring and playing a java game online. If it was a client on the other hand, they would. The core of a game is a client, this java shit will never keep the fire of this game burning. It's going to put the fire out.

Sorry but this web based java shit is so unapealing to login to, cant even bother to idle in the lobby like you do with a game client.

I dont think any kind of publicity is going to get this game to grow again (speaking from someone who would actually play and promote the game if there was a client to get behind).

04-27-2014, 12:14 AM #20
Chris AC Operations Team
meek: Do you have any real data or arguments for why it's better as a client other than you personally don't like it? Why is it "unappealing" to login?

Ridden: we have 2 devs working on it now, plus Night is active again, so that makes 3.

Chris/RareOps - AC Operations Team
Armor Critical Website
Facebook

Thread Closed