#Login Register
What Really Grinds Turbo's Gears Part 1
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

07-18-2014, 01:39 AM #1
Turbo AC Administrator
What Really Grinds Turbo’s Gears

Money Regen (Nuke Assasin)

Played this map in CTA last week, and I felt like I was being Lugz more than anything. I was giving strategic advice to my team more than I was actually moving my ship. No one seemed to care or listen, so we ended up getting obliterated. I decided to write a few strategic points so that everyone can read this, and hopefully be a guide for players who don’t think they understand the map fully.

1. The Bridge of Khazad-Dum: When you spawn, 5 people rush for the flag first, or go into a portal. The remaining people who are lagging behind end up going to the bridge. This is a loss of around 2-4 seconds, and if the other team has already pursuing the bridge, its almost a game over. The biggest obstacle is to claim the middle, so that your president will have a safe way towards that section and eventually nade the president. It’s all about positioning, and once you lose midfield, you’re chances of losing the round exponentially increases unless the team commits a dumb error. ALWAYS HAVE a few guys attempting to go to the MIDDLE right OFF THE BAT!

2. Flagger: You do not need 4-5 flaggers rushing for the flag. This is inefficient and causes the team to lose its positioning. Try to set a designated flagger or at least decide before the spawn on who will be the flagger for that round.

3. Spreads: So you are playing CTA Money Regen and you are already adhering to #1. Great, but that’s only half. As soon as you attempt to go near mid, SPREAD RIGHT AWAY!!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you and 2 other players shoot an accurate spread IMMEDIATELY, it causes the other team to fall back, which then helps your positioning even more. It’s all about off-screen spreading at this point. If you wait to spread once you see an opponent, count to 3 seconds and you’ll be in the pen.

4. Inconsistency: I see most people already do this but wanted to reiterate. Change the strat up: everyone go portal, half go portal… don’t make things so predictable for the opponent

5. Intelligence: If it takes around 20 seconds to pick up a flag.. why are you picking it up at 5 seconds? Usually the opposite team is dumb enough to pick it up, which then should prompt you to port and kill the flagger. The first spawner after death should have enough time to pick up the flag.

I will continue to describe what grinds Turbo’s Gears the more I see wrongdoings committed in CTA maps.

Your Truly,
Turbo the Tyrant

Spark Administrator
Founder of CTA and Gladiators

07-18-2014, 02:33 AM #2
cyro Forum Administrator
LOL. awesome.

tocs.

07-18-2014, 02:37 AM #3
Dario Still n00b
Just to put my two cents in regarding #2 and #5, I think the person who spawns closest to the flag should grab it asap (exceptions can be made for players who are really bad compared to their teammates and generally shouldn't be flagging). Spawn location helps determine which player(s) should attempt to grab the flag while the other players can tend to other duties on the map. Also, it's usually a big advantage to grab the flag first. When the enemy president knows that you will have a grenade first, there's a certain amount of zoning that takes place that can help your team take the upper hand. In addition, don't squander this opportunity by chucking a meaningless grenade; every time you shoot a meaningless grenade while the other president holds onto his, you are just relinquishing the upper hand.

P.S. I can't believe I just responded to a strategy thread on this horrible abomination of a map.

-love dar

07-18-2014, 04:04 AM #4
tengo Veteran
The person closest to the flag should grab it first, but not everybody who plays Money understands how to be an efficient president.

Therefore, in addition to Turbo's advice, key roles must be explained.

1. Understanding that your role is influenced by where you spawn
2. How to be an efficient president
3. Understanding the bigger picture, how exactly does a team win in Money?

1. This part is really important. If your entire team spawns in the corner, then you have a great opportunity at a successful mass portal. This is obvious if your team has yet to pass the portal en route to the flag, and the other team has already grabbed. Another example is if you are one of the top-right spawners or close to flagholder spawners (but not president), then you have to go towards the bridge immediately and also keep an eye on the portal. The farthest person (or two) may need to guard the portal until the president is far enough where it's considered safe. This doesn't mean the others going toward mid (which is the role of everyone, but those in the front of the line are going to spawn closest to bridge) can ignore the portal entirely, you keep an eye on it until you've reached the middle of your bridge, which is usually the beginning of range (if you are at the beginning of your bridge, your spreads will not reach the opponent... if you are at the middle of your bridge, your spreads may begin to reach your opponent, as long as they've begun coming towards you also.) These aren't the only two scenarios, but hopefully something to help everybody consider what they should be doing. Wins and losses happen quick in Money and critical thinking ability applies.

2. If you spawn close to flag, grab the flag immediately and help cover the portal as you move towards the bunker area. Keep moving, provide support diagonally, if possible, move a bit forward and provide support to bridge. Ideally you want to help your team secure mid without putting yourself in jeopardy. Also, you want to place the nade where it will kill the other president, unless you are protecting yourself from an ambush or have a different strategy in mind (one that requires more coordination with your teammates and requires you to free up space on the map by destroying several with one nade. Nade placement is important.)

skills needed - awareness, accuracy, dodging ability, radar

3. So how does a team win in Money or any map? Usually it comes down to the president is alone without blockers and is going to get smashed by an incoming nade or his opponents. The keyword here is contain. If you are able to limit the space of the president then you are going to be able to limit his range of motion (keeping your team safer) and eventually destroying him. This is also where a lot of game theory takes place, e.g. should the president push knowing that the other president has a nade, does the president have ample support to make a calculated risk, etc.

07-18-2014, 04:26 AM #5
castiel n00b
6. The weakest player should always cover portal till he gets those bouncies and then port.

07-18-2014, 04:52 AM #6
oTaCon AC Administrator
I can't wait for the next installment

liked

[Image: AiDd4fG.png]

07-18-2014, 06:36 AM #7
benevolence AC Administrator
The most common problem in Money is players who THINK they know how to be a president but actually don't. Followed closely by players who sort of know but don't have the skills to back it up, and those who blatantly grab the flag to pad their stats.

07-18-2014, 07:30 AM #8
Astrok n00b
7. Fuck this map.

07-18-2014, 07:38 AM #9
Riptide n00b
Dario and tengo covered my issue with #2, which is that you shouldn't have a designated flagger necessarily. The map relies completely on spawns, so you need at least a few people who are semi-competent at being the president in that map so whoever's closest can grab (generally).

#5 is a bad point in the current setting that this map is being played in (which is a casual CTA game).

As Dario stated, having a grenade faster than the other team is a huge advantage both for zoning and killing purposes; however, if this were a competitive league where each team had a roster of 8 - 10 skilled / coordinated players, then the timing of picking up the flag would become much more crucial as you would be susceptible to immediate rushes.

But as it currently stands, in the unorganized / no teamwork setting that CTA usually is, having that early grenade is far more beneficial since a full team almost never ports. Even when they do their success rate is hit or miss.

07-18-2014, 07:51 AM #10
Yosh Forum Administrator
(07-18-2014, 07:30 AM)Astrok Wrote:  7. Fuck this map.

Probably the most solid advice.

yoshi