#Login Register
Update - $1k, advertising, etc.
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-02-2014, 12:13 AM #1
nas AC Operations Team
All,

We received the $1k back from the developer (actually Will paid us and the developer is doing private work for him to pay it off).

I am not going to make a post about what we plan to do with the money or to progress the game. This is simply a post for the community to start throwing around some ideas on how to get this game to sustain itself and attract more players.

So far the following ideas have been passed around the community (that I know of):

- Get the game on Steam. This requires us to have a client and pay a fee of $100, i think (Rev and Dip are currently looking into this).
- Start a Reddit advertising campaign, which would require a lot of work from active members of the community.
- One thing I am highly interested in doing is figuring out a way to get the game on Facebook. One of the original ideas of porting the game to a browser was to be able to easily add the game to social networks. I will do some research into this.

Please don't just post ideas, but instead, try to come up with things that we can actually do and a plan to accomplish them. If we are going to move the game along we need active participation from the players. Don't expect the "owners" to do everything (we all know that that will not work - myself included). I will participate in any campaign as much as possible, but I cannot guarantee anything.

10-02-2014, 02:51 AM #2
castiel n00b
https://www.fiverr.com/theadtwins/create...2618215700
+ make the video rank for "free strategy game" = lifetime traffic.
This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 02:57 AM by castiel.

10-02-2014, 03:05 AM #3
eekum Veteran
(10-02-2014, 02:51 AM)castiel Wrote:  https://www.fiverr.com/theadtwins/create...2618215700
+ make the video rank for "free strategy game" = lifetime traffic.

"Wear preferred style..business, girly, rocker, nerdy, etc"

Naked, can I have naked please?

10-02-2014, 03:27 AM #4
oTaCon AC Administrator
I made a lengthy post about Steam Greenlight on the old forums, I'll try to hit some points from it (others on this forum have probably mentioned these points before).

Steam Greenlight is great because you can submit game concepts (for example we could submit Armor Critical as a game concept while Niveus finishes the work on the client). If we start with a Concept, we can put a link to ArmorCritical.com to let people interested in the Concept/Game to try it out and post their thoughts on the Greenlight page.

Take some time to look at this URL to get a better idea of the difference between concepts and games up for vote:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/brows...n=concepts
Greenlight Concepts Wrote:This section is intended for items looking to gather feedback from the potential customers and begin building a community. If you like projects here, feel free to rate them, favorite them, and leave feedback for the developer. The voting here serves only to give the developer data and reactions and doesn't work toward getting the game distributed on Steam.

To me, Steam Greenlight is a great use of $100. My thought is that even if AC doesn't get "Greenlit" as a Steam game, being listed as a concept and eventually game candidate will put our game in front of thousands of potential players.

If people are working on getting this done, great!

Things that can be done now:
We need our development team to be in control of the Steam account that is submitting the concept/games to Greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about...developers
From the Greenlight FAQ Wrote:What do I need in order to submit my game?
You'll need a valid and non-limited Steam account (yes, that means you'll need to own a game on Steam). Then you'll need to fill out the submission form, including some information about you and your game. There's also a one-time $100 submission fee per Steam account. The submission will require:

A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
At least 4 screenshots or images
A written description of the game along with the tentative system requirements.

Submitting AC on Greenlight as a game concept could happen today, and be submitted as a game candidate when we are ready.

[Image: AiDd4fG.png]

10-02-2014, 05:26 PM #5
PointBlank n00b
Very basic idea but... a prize tournament.

500-600 to the winning team.

Use the rest of the moneytowards an aggressive advertising campaign. Target competitive gaming communities like Counterstrike, DOTA, Battlefield, WoW, LoL.

These people love competition and the lure of money will make them pick up the game and practice it a LOT. Give 3-4 months notice. Half of these people will bail when the tournament ends but half/some will stick around and be valuable community members.

This will probably be my first and last post on this board. <3.
This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM by PointBlank.

10-03-2014, 01:31 PM #6
wiSp33l n00b
First off, I'd like to state that I am aware and believe none of this or the aforementioned suggestions will ever be implemented. However, I enjoy thinking/developing things like this.

With that being said, I'm curious. Once you spend the money to get people here (Won't work but theoretically speaking ), what's your plan then? Wait until you raise more money for? Development? Steam? Facebook? I guess we can assume the 3 people you'd get would stick around because Tengo is a sweet heart.

I've heard nothing in regards to Monetization. Nothing at all.

Tournament idea is less than attractive. Offer over half the "budget" for a single tournament. Players come back, play & win. Then what? What incentive is their to stick around? A 400$ advertising budget?

This is what you should spend your budget on. I'll put it in red text.

This component is crucial - Monetization.

Ship skins? The ability to switch between skins via the lobby. Other players see your skin (DRM/AlwaysOnline). To avoid confusion in game, player name text is in team color. In addition to this and laser color, there is also a line of team color around the ship. Said line can be disabled. Possible community tournaments for user submitted skins. Winners skin gets added to the game store. In game currency. Automated & Secure. So in addition to skins, what else can you Monetize in the game? Kill animations? Icons? Apparel?

Then you can start to work on the following. Then you can think about Steam. Or advertising.

Just some shit off the top of my head.

Progression.
Levels. Achievements. Etc. This provides incentive other than the game play itself.
Player Profiles. Stats & CTA Stats.
Player Profile Avatars in game next to their name in Stats Tab.
Better Stats Tab.
Actual Rounds. Map Rotation. Map Votes.
CTA Stats. Better UI. Ability to search players.
Seamless UI.
Client.

Until you've set yourself up for monetization and the ability to add these things properly (DRM/Always Online) I see absolutely no point in advertising.

Unless you have zero incentive to do anything other than add a few (literally) other players for people to interact with. In which case, go ahead. I honestly don't care either way. But. If you want to do it right and actually want to make something of this. Do it right. Stop finding used tires at the dump and fucking buy some new ones.
This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 01:37 PM by wiSp33l.

10-03-2014, 08:02 PM #7
ReV n00b
Exclamation What we need for Steam Exclamation
A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
At least 4 screenshots or images
A written description of the game along with the tentative system requirements.
Exclamation 100$ donation
Exclamation Vaild Steam Account with at least one PAID FOR game
Quote:You'll need a valid and non-limited Steam account (yes, that means you'll need to own a game on Steam). Then you'll need to fill out the submission form, including some information about you and your game. There's also a one-time $100 submission fee per Steam account. The submission will require:
Exclamation A WORKING CLINET IS A MUST!!!Exclamation
Quote:Do you take XNA, Java, Flash or Adobe Air games?

Yes, we accept all four types on Steam as well as any application that can run as a stand-alone executable. For example, Flash games need to be exported as exe or wrapped so that they launch from a stand-alone executable.

I have a game that runs in a web browser – can I submit it to Steam Greenlight?

Games distributed by Steam must be able to launch and run as stand-alone applications. If you have a browser-based game, you will need to create a version that can operate as a stand-alone executable and not require use of the customer's web browser.

All this is redy on my end, (Not the Client of Corce or the 100$) So plez Let me know. and this WILL work If we all band together and really make the game thrive on Steam by posting comments/feed back on steamgreenlight for AC, and helping new players who join Via Steam. Who ever needs what i got let me know.
This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 08:17 PM by ReV.

[Image: WKFSNnH.gif]

10-04-2014, 12:03 AM #8
TerrOr n00b
These kind of discussions been going on for years, and its pointless when we take no action to make it happen. It can not be the community's responsibility to take action and make it more then just a discussion, sure we can come up with ideas and we can help make these things happen as best as we can. But in the end its the owners/leaders that needs to push it through to make ideas/concepts happen.

10-04-2014, 04:28 AM #9
nas AC Operations Team
So take action then. The "leaders" are not stopping anyone from assisting us progress the game.

10-04-2014, 05:08 AM #10
TerrOr n00b
All i meant is that it shouldnt lay on the players to take the action necessary