#Login Register
ACG 2014 - Cash Tournament - Sets off!
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-27-2014, 05:47 AM #11
castiel n00b
(10-27-2014, 05:33 AM)Odoacer Wrote:  
(10-27-2014, 04:39 AM)CloudS Wrote:  So who are the brains behind this operation? I think they have some explaining to do..
I'll take credit for that. I'm sure everyone is happy to see a league so I'm assuming all the negativity is about the money.

For those bitching about the money not going to development: what kind of development do you think that money really buys? What do you think developers cost? Give it to me to pay for roughly two of the countless days of work I've put in. Then I will put it into this tournament. Otherwise, it's going to sit around for another year doing nothing but depreciating -- if the game lasts another year.

As for advertising, what kind of return do you think we would get ? Some click-throughs which would result in a tiny percentage of people signing up, then an even tinier percentage sticking around for more than 5 minutes. The best plans we've discussed for growing the game are Steam and Reddit campaigns; those are free and still on the table.

I'll make a deal with the existing players. If you want to make this a non-cash tournament, we can do that. Then when it's over I'm gone. I'm tired of fighting all the negative people who bitch at every single thing that's done, and logging on to see fewer and fewer people every day. You can go back to having inactive ops, no development, and a continuously shrinking player base if that's what you really want. The bright side is that you'll have a small amount of money in a bank account that none of you will ever agree on how to use.

Decide now. I have other things I could be doing.

[Image: ky54F.png]

10-27-2014, 05:51 AM #12
tengo Veteran
Odoacer, it sounds like this is all a burden. If so, why do you continue working on the game?

Anyways - I don't think it should be a cash tournament either, but whatever. The winners don't have to keep the money. Wherever my team places in the tournament, I will ask they consider leaving the money in the pot or donating it to a cause such as Doctors Without Borders. This is what I'll do with my portion.

10-27-2014, 05:54 AM #13
Bone Still n00b
(10-27-2014, 05:51 AM)tengo Wrote:  Odoacer, it sounds like this is all a burden. If so, why do you continue working on the game?

Anyways - I don't think it should be a cash tournament either, but whatever. The winners don't have to keep the money. Wherever my team places in the tournament, I will ask they consider leaving the money in the pot or donating it to a cause such as Doctors Without Borders. This is what I'll do with my portion.

I likely won't be playing, as games will be on weekends it seems and I work a lot of hours on the weekends which make playing extremely difficult. I already had the same thought process though. If I were to play, whatever money I won personally I would just tell ARC to keep and put toward something (i.e. server costs, etc.)

10-27-2014, 05:57 AM #14
Lightning n00b
Sounds like the main issue we are having regrading this is the fact that players who never play will come, capitalize, and disappear. If that is the case, why not come to a an agreement to not allow players who never play to return for that reason. We have a community of 50 active players that play and log in on a weekly basis. That is more than enough to have a good tournament, and it will allow the players who are at a lower skill level to participate as well.

Lunu
This post was last modified: 10-27-2014, 06:07 AM by Lightning.

10-27-2014, 06:03 AM #15
tengo Veteran
The good players of the past don't have what it takes to deal with the modern-day Gods. They are welcome to play, but is there a plan set to get in touch with those players? Is there a database of ICQ #s, emails or other means of communicating with them?

10-27-2014, 06:06 AM #16
Odoacer AC Operations Team
We have the accounts table from spark. It has about 5000 email addresses (discounting duplicates and many disposable addresses).

10-27-2014, 06:21 AM #17
eekum Veteran
(10-27-2014, 05:57 AM)Lightning Wrote:  Sounds like the main issue we are having regrading this is the fact that players who never play will come, capitalize, and disappear. If that is the case, why not come to a an agreement to not allow players who never play to return for that reason. We have a community of 50 active players that play and log in on a weekly basis. That is more than enough to have a good tournament, and it will allow the players who are at a lower skill level to participate as well.

Lunu

So we tell older players they can't play?

I don't understand how this helps the game grow...

As far as players with lower skill level participating. It'll be the same as BPT/ACHT - - As soon as they realize they are going to get demolished in every game and can't win, they will just stop showing up for games.

10-27-2014, 06:45 AM #18
Dario Still n00b
This format doesn't work. The last 5 leagues have been failures. Small teams require loose scheduling. Strict scheduling requires large teams. So now we are putting strict scheduling and small teams together? This eliminates anybody who works on the weekends or even every other weekend. I can't waste one of only five spots on a team if I can only show to half the games. What's the whole point of having discussions about changing league formats for the better if we are just going to keep using the same old format that is no longer viable?

-love dar

10-27-2014, 06:47 AM #19
Lightning n00b
In the lobby i spoke with having the teams be based around a tier requirement. 2 High level - 2 Mid level - 1 Low. Having the top 5 - 10 players create a ranking that can be used as a layout. Im not sure how hard that would be to create, but I feel like it would allow more players to be involved.

10-27-2014, 07:13 AM #20
Bone Still n00b
(10-27-2014, 06:47 AM)Lightning Wrote:  In the lobby i spoke with having the teams be based around a tier requirement. 2 High level - 2 Mid level - 1 Low. Having the top 5 - 10 players create a ranking that can be used as a layout. Im not sure how hard that would be to create, but I feel like it would allow more players to be involved.

How? First off, who wants to participate in a league with such restrictions? Draft leagues don't work for a reason, which is similar to what you are suggesting. Nobody wants to be forced onto a team they don't want to play with. I certainly wouldn't. Not even necessarily due to skill related issues. Although, that is a major reason as well.

You also mentioned something about excluding players who don't play this game. What would be the point of that? I think that totally defeats their whole idea here... the money is a form of enticement to bring those people back. Not to exclude them.

The best way to look at this, is sort of what Odoacer said. Whether you agree with how the money is being used or not, everyone can virtually get what they want out of this. $1800 isn't going to be any sort of significant factor in development/advertising. So forget that avenue. Plenty of us have joked (not really joking though) that ARC should just give the money to Odoacer considering all his time and effort put in towards development. He's basically saying ok I accept and here's what I want to do with the money now that it is mine. Also consider what he just said, if he's fed up and the community is against this, then he ceases to further work on development. Consider this a substantially cheap payment to a developer then. We'd be paying way more than $1800 on a developer if Odoacer left and we paid some outsider.
This post was last modified: 10-28-2014, 04:14 AM by Bone.