#Login Register
End of Season Remarks
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-25-2015, 12:20 PM #1
Fordus Still n00b
Want to thank DE and Odo for running this league, I know it takes a lot of work and generally gets very little reward. The monetary prize is what motivated me to come back to this game after years of absence, but very quickly the money became meaningless to me and it was just the competitive spirit that kept me interested. But the money is what drew me and other players in, so I think it was a good decision to do this. Besides, it's nice that the winners get some kind of concrete prize.

Going forward, here's what I'd like to see for future seasons:

-better selection of maps. I realize this is partially our own fault, because Odo asked for map feedback at the onset and I had just come back and was not familiar with anything, or I would've offered my view. Bubble2k is a terrible map that should be put to rest, and I'm not convinced on the worthiness of revolution or challenge. Go 2011 is also very antiquated and I hope people will playtest my SGLGO2015beta map, as I think it improves upon classic GO in a number of ways. The reason I like GO is not because it allows space for people to run away, but because it allows for dynamics. You should be forced to make choices that have trade-offs...you can run away passively, but you give up territory and position by doing so. You could also charge someone if you want to. My version of GO has gotten rid of all the stagnant choke points that make the area not a test of skill nor allow for dynamic choices, but rather force players into a boring, anti-fun waiting game.

-removal or adjustment of DHT. already had this discussion on another thread, and I think Odo has agreed to not kick in the spawn time penalty based on cap differential until a 2 or 3 cap margin has been achieved. This will help prevent blow out games, without jeopardizing the competitive sanctity of close games.

-scheduling rules should be adjusted. A lot of teams dragged their heels in terms of replying to threads...there should be a rule that if a captain does not reply to the scheduling thread for 72 hours, the other team automatically can choose from any time in the slots they proposed. Similarly, if both teams don't respond for 72 hours, the league official will decide on a time. This league was ran exceptionally well, and a lot of that is because of all the developments that have been made with regard to mod commands, the website, etc., and this form of scheduling is certainly by far the most progressive form I've ever seen, which is a good thing...but it can be improved upon more. I feel hesitation about joining another league because, as a team captain, it felt like pulling teeth sometimes to get a dialogue going with other teams regarding scheduling. I think it might even be better to have the league set default times...on weeknights, say a few games every day in the evenings Monday through Thursday, and then have teams agree to a reschedule if they needed it. Seems like weekday evenings work the best since the people who work during the week are home by then, and people who work the weekends also would not have a conflict with this.

That's all for now, I'm sure other people have good ideas too and I hope they post them. Thanks again to all the staff and participants, overall had a really fun experience playing this season.

01-25-2015, 01:03 PM #2
Astrok n00b
Agreed. Was a fun season and thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.

01-25-2015, 01:30 PM #3
bigdaddy n00b
Thanks for putting ACG together, what's next for AC? another tournament? or are we forever playing CTA

01-25-2015, 01:40 PM #4
Zeus n00b
Agreed Fordus. Let's give it up for the ACG Refs as well!

01-25-2015, 03:24 PM #5
niveus AC Developer
Thank you Odoacer and DarkEvil for your time.

01-26-2015, 02:19 AM #6
DarkEvil AC Guide
I agree with you Fordus. It was a lot of fun running the league. I'll be writing a post soon, hopefully it will be out by the end of today about the league on behalf of the ACG staff.

[3:15:11 AM] WhiteWidow : ODO
[3:15:18 AM] WhiteWidow : i just had it ask me a question when I clicked on join game
[3:15:30 AM] Odoacer : huh?
[3:15:43 AM] Odoacer : there's a pill for that

01-26-2015, 10:18 AM #7
Sebek AC Administrator
Yea, on behalf of CaDF, I'd like to thank both Odoacer and DarkEvil for putting together and running the tournament. Any ref's who committed time and those of you who wrote various pieces throughout the season are also appreciated. There were some doubts floating around when the wheels were initially put in motion but I think the tournament proved to be a success, I think the game had an atmosphere that it hasn't experienced for some time thanks to the competition. From the top to the bottom, anybody who participated in the tournament, I hope you found some enjoyment in it while it lasted. I know I ended up getting more enveloped than I had originally thought I would.

Cheers.
This post was last modified: 01-26-2015, 10:19 AM by Sebek.

01-26-2015, 10:00 PM #8
Faur Still n00b
yup, big thanks to odo and darkevil for putting together this tournament, I hope we get to play another season of gladiators soon it was fun, also thanks to bone fordus and sebek for putting up predictions rankings writeups and such.